Tuesday, January 5, 2010

California: Will It Drive Us Away?

So, you've probably heard that, for the last few years, California has had droves of people leaving. The two biggest problems my husband and I have had with the state, in the last fifteen months of living in Carlsbad and now in Napa, have been:
--gigantic taxes. Income taxes are high, sales taxes are high, even going to the DMV is expensive! And in return, you get crummy schools and crumbling roads. Good times.
--The health care here is abominable, compared to Ohio, Virginia, and Washington State. The ERs are overcrowded (not so much a problem here in Napa...) and the lack of primary care doctors looms large. The ER doc at Napa's Queen of the Valley hospital I saw when I sprained my ankle said it took him a long time to find a primary care doc who was even taking patients. The ones that are taking patients don't take insurance and require a $1500 payment up front before seeing you. It takes months to get routine tests, like an MRI, which might have taken me three days in the Seattle area. That's a problem throughout California; it must have to do with state laws and paperwork, because I had it at both ends of the state even when doctors agreed an MRI was neccessary.

But, on the good side: it is supposed to be 60 degrees here today, while the rest of the USA is in deep freeze. Even now that the leaves have fallen off the vineyards, the green hills surrounding us are still beautiful. There are still more good restaurants than you can shake a stick at (though many of them not, sadly, in our price range. Yesterday during a stroll through Yountville we were pressing our noses against the charming glass at French Laundry, where we will never eat because it is too expensive unless Thomas Keller offers to have us in for free because he likes us. It could happen, right?)

In Seattle it rains nine months a year. But you can see a doctor whenever you want! Plus, no income tax! See my struggle?

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog because I recently moved here to Napa with my partner. He is going to school in Viticulture, and I'm trying to find a decent job. It's great to read your perspective on the valley because, honestly, it's been a tough transition for us so far! We are in our early twenties, so we don't fit in so well around here. We moved from Canada and are really hoping to find some good venues to meet people and to hear some good advice about the valley. If you get a chance, would love to hear if you have any advice for us as newbies in terms of jobs, or places to avoid, etc! I also love that you're a poet, creative writing has always been a passion of mine. My email is: breannanewhouse@gmail.com if you get a chance :)

    ReplyDelete