Saturday, October 3, 2009

Oxbow Market and (closed) Copia


So, an excursion to the lovely Oxbow Markets in downtown Napa was really fun - and great inspiration for Christmas presents!
Because I've been a little stomach-flu-y, my husband did all the tasting for us - he got to sample locally-made ice cream in flavors like chocolate-lavender, lemon-passionfruit and banana-caramel cupcakes from Kara's Cupcakes, and blood-orange olive oil while I watched longingly...It is a beautiful set of little shops, restaurants, wine bars that made me think - Oh, I know what I am going to get everyone for Christmas! I mean, here's the gift potential: fiery beer or chardonnet brittles, tiny bottles of dessert liquours made here in town, local olive oils and olive oil lip balms, of course wines, botanical prints, kitchen antiques...consider yourselves warned, friends and family! But the funniest thing is I tried to get on the river walk trail behing the markets on my crutches, even though there was a closed gate and orange cones to keep people out, and I only got a couple of steps before I saw giant handwritten signs that said: "Caution: Bees!"
Restaurants are arranged kind of like an upscale food court: there's a Venezualan restaurant, a branch of the tourist-loved Taylor's Refresher, a wine tasting area, etc. Two things that brought joy to my husband's heart: a real-deal charcuterie and a branch of Model bakery. Just think of the sandwiches!
It's a shame that Copia - a beautiful building that houses - now - an empty restaurant, show-kitchen, classrooms, movie theater, offices and exhibition space - sits empty and closed, because it definitely gives a "ghost-town" feeling to downtown Napa despite new hotels like the Westin going up along the river, and new condos being built. I heard today it is officially up for sale - for 78 million!

No comments:

Post a Comment